Thursday, January 5, 2012

2.04 Broadcast--Television

When I was assigned to watch one hour of news programming, I had so many options to choose from. I could have watched daily or nightly news, sports news, TV magazines, etc. However, I chose to watch an entertainment news show to keep my assignment lighthearted. The news show I watched is TMZ, which I would definitely classify as an entertainment news program.

As this is an entertainment show, I saw a LOT of opinion being expressed. For instance, one of their segments is called "Do You Really Think That's A Good Idea?" This automatically proves that an opinion will be expressed promptly. On the topic of Casey Anthony adopting a dog, one of the reporters exclaims, "No, that's not a good idea!" Then, they showed a picture of a puppy, and captioned it "Not her actual puppy. This one is safe," showing that their opinion is that it was definitely a bad idea.

For what I was expecting, the show was indeed effective in informing me about topics in Hollywood entertainment. It did many right things, such as quoting liable sources and researching their information. However, there were many things that could have been better; they could have included a lot less opinion, conducted interviews with celebrities, and made less of a joke out of their stories. I would watch the show again for its humor, but if I were looking for more serious stories, I would shy away from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment